Monday, April 12, 2010

NCAA Tournament Betting Values Results

Well the 2010 March Madness is over and let's find out the results of my previous post which identified some potential betting values. To recap, I bet a hypothetical $100 for Duke to win the tournament at 8-1 and bet $50 on the lower seeded choices to win their first game. I arbitrarily chose Richmond over St. Marys in their game (they played each other), but really I should have stuck with the underdog theme and chose St. Marys (which actually made it to the Sweet 16).

I didn't take a look at point spreads and just looked to see who won their game outright. So from that perspective, only Murray St in the lower seeds won their game. If you took spreads into account, I am thinking I would have picked up another game. So for the lower seeds, betting a hypothetical $50 on each of those 5 teams, I won two of those games, so overall lost $50.

But Duke actually won the tournament! With a hypothetical $100 on Duke at 8-1, that's a nice win. Overall, I bet a hypothetical $350, $100 on the tournament winner and $250 on the first round lesser seed game winners. On the lesser seeds, down $50, but on the tournament winner up $800 for an overall tournament betting profit of $750. Not shabby at all.

Next year, I'll perform this exercise again, but get firmer numbers on the point spread on the first round games. To see the March Madness bracket results, click here.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: